| || || |
Education builds the nation or the collapse of education is the collapse of a nation. It is aptly quoted by Dr. Nelson Mandela that 'Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world'. Teachers are builders of any Nation as they are the pillars and strengths of any education system from time immemorial. They have the unconditional obligation of molding the students constructively thereby lending their hands in the growth and development of human resources. Teaching was treated as responsibility and social commitment but not as a profession in the past. But now it is also considered as a profession as the transformation has taken place in this field as in any other field due to globalization. Hence as in any other profession, we have to outline the code of professional ethics to teachers. Their role in the higher education is of paramount importance as they are educating the students in their teens who are under the influence of biological transformation due to hormonal changes, day to day radical changes in the society, peer pressure and parental pressure. They have a greater responsibility of making the students skilled to be placed after the completion of the degree and motivate them to pursue higher education.
As teachers belong to cadre of Department of Collegiate Education, Government of Karnataka should strictly adhere to the guidelines laid down by DCE, GoK. Faculty of the college are also subject to guidelines laid down by UGC and the UGC guideline directs any teachers to be honest, unbiased, committed and whoever adopts teaching as a profession assumes the obligation to conduct himself/herself by following the ideals of the profession. A teacher is constantly under the scrutiny of students and society at large. Therefore every teacher should see that there is no incompatibility between percepts and practice. The teacher has to adopt the national ideals of education. In adherence to guidelines of UGC and DCE, IQAC has evolved code of professional ethics for self-regulation and was approved by the teachers. This Code of Professional Ethics is an effort to make the teachers self-regulatory, provide direction and maintain dignity and integrity of the teaching profession.
Responsibilities towards students: A Teacher
1. Shall treat all the students impartially. Discrimination is not entertained concerning caste creed, religion, gender, language, culture, economic status, color, disability, physical status, etc
2. Shall respect the human dignity of the students
3. Shall transact the curriculum effectively and see to it all the students have perceived it. Accordingly, modify the curriculum delivery as per the needs of each student.
4. Shall inspire students to acquire knowledge, inculcate social, moral and environmental values, and instill scientific temper.
5. Shall contribute selflessly to the intellectual, social, economic, moral and emotional development of the students.
6. Shall strictly maintain the confidentiality of the information related to students, can be disclosed to the legitimate persons if required in the interest of the students.
7. Shall treat all the students with care, love, and affection.
8. Shall abstain from subjecting the students to physical and emotional exploitation, sexual abuse or anything which demoralize the students
9. Shall demonstrate integrity, morality, patriotism in the classroom, institution and society at large.
10. Shall work tirelessly lending hands in the overall development of the students thereby contributing to the development of the country.
11. Shall discharge the duties in such a way that the teacher should be regarded as a role model by students and society. A teacher gets utmost respect in the society, his/her behavior in the college and society shall not damage the image of the profession and the institution and hence shall adopt perfect mannerism inside the campus and off-campus.
12. Shall discuss about the students' performance with their parents whenever required.
13. Shall motivate students to participate in co-curricular and extracurricular activities.
Responsibilities towards Institution, Society, and Nation: A Teacher
1. Shall treat all the colleagues with respect, dignity, and humility
2. Shall continuously update the knowledge and skills, involve in active research, participate in administration and put efforts towards total quality enhancement of the college.
3. Shall maintain the confidentiality of the examination related work.
4. Shall not involve in activities which damage the image of the institution in the society.
5. Shall respect the dignity of the nonteaching staff.
6. Shall refrain from any antisocial, anti-democratic and anti-environmental activities which could damage the integrity of the profession and image of the college.
7. Shall maintain inclusiveness in all the domains of education
8. Shall refrain from taking part in activities such as spreading feeling of hatred among different communities, religious and linguistic groups