- To make quality the defining element of higher education in India through a combination of self and external quality evaluation, promotion and sustenance initiatives
- To arrange for periodic assessment and accreditation of institutions of higher education or units thereof, or specific academic programmes or projects;
- To stimulate the academic environment for promotion of quality of teaching-learning and research in higher education institutions;
- To encourage self-evaluation, accountability, autonomy and innovations in higher education;
- To undertake quality-related research studies, consultancy and training programmes,and
- To collaborate with other stakeholders of higher education for quality evaluation, promotion and sustenance.