|1.2 SWOC ANALYSIS |
SWOC Analysis provides an insight into the strength, weakness and opportunities of the institution. It also enables to identify the challenges faced by the institution. Further, it helps the institution to develop its strengths, act upon weaknesses, utilize the opportunities and meet the challenges.
The nature of the strength of the institution has provided a sturdy support to the functioning of the institution:
- The institution is located in a prime area of North Bengaluru.
- The institution has adequate infrastructure with spacious class rooms, fully automated library and coducive learning enviornment.
- Play ground in front of the institution to encourage sports activities and inter – collegiate events.
- Highly qualified, dedicated and experienced faculties with M.Phil. and doctoral degrees.
- The institution is affiliated to Bengaluru North University and is also funded by RUSA and State Government.
- Only Government co-education institution in the locality that caters to the educational needs of the socially and economically weaker students.
- Functional IQAC, Placement Cell, active discipline - wise Forums, Units Committees and Student Counselling Cell.
- Scholarship and Endowment support to the academic needs of the students.
- Based on the recommendation of NAAC Peer Team in 2014, P.G. programme in Commerce is introduced in 2018.
- BCA programme is introduced in 2018 to meet the growing needs of the students
- Extending support for conducting UG examinations to the nearby colleges.
- Exclusive Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Language and Business Labs for UG and PG students.
- Secured environment for girl students ensured by Discipline Committee, Women’s Forum, Internal Complaint Committee, Anti-ragging Committee, CCTV Surveillance and Ladies waiting room.
The institution is striving hard to overcome the weakness and trying to harness its potentiality to the maximum extent to address the weakness adequately. The teaching and non-teaching faculty and various forums, committees are working towards identifying the severity of the weakness and exploring new possibilities to solve the issues at stake. The weakness identified are as follows:
- Absence of academic flexibility in curriculum design and development.
- Lack of consultancy services.
- Inadequate space for horizontal expansion of infrastructure in the campus.
- Due to financial constraints of their family, students enroll for part time or full time jobs.
- Family obligations for girl students due to early marriage.
- Difficulty for students to enroll for self financed add on courses due to financial constraints.
The institution has numerous opportunities which have opened fresh vistas and added new ideas into the working of the institution.
- 12B status of the institution provides an opportunity to involve in research activities.
- Increase the number of skill oriented, value added courses and certificate programmes.
- Extend institutional social responsibility.
- Provide hostel facility.
- Mobilize Alumni support.
- Create Green Campus.
- Starting Vocational Courses like B. Voc.
- Introduce new Post Graduate programmes.
- Provide Gymnasium facility.
The institution, at present, faces several challenges. However, the institution acknowledges the statement that challenges help in bringing the best out. This positive spirit acts as a driving force and has added new ardor to the functioning of the institution. The optimistic notion has helped the institution to identify the challenging areas and devise plans towards facing and resolving the challenges efficiently. The pressing challenges in front of the institution at present are:
- Need for strong Industry-Academic interface.
- Decline in admission for Arts and Science streams.
- Intake of students with varying learning abilities.
- Improving students’ strength as many BBMP and private institutions have been opened in the neighbourhood.
The institution, as noted earlier, is working endlessly with the hope of meeting these challenges and transforming them into strengths.