- About Library
History of Library: In the year 1993, the Lal Bahadhur Shastry Govt. First Grade College was started under the Department of Collegiate Education, Government of Karnataka. The main ives of the college library are to cater the need of the student community who pursues higher studies. It has also an equal amount of responsibility to meet the need of the teaching staff for effective teaching and also for the further research programme of the staff and students of the college.
A separate Library & Information Center is housed in the building with carpet area of 1254 Sq.feet provides a conducive environment for the readers. The annual purchase of books is on an average 500 volumes per year. Presently, the total volume of books reached 21359. Library automation has been done to promote smooth transaction of books with staff and student.
The working time of the college for academic programme is 10 A.M to 5.30 P.M.
The Library Advisory Committee formed in the college. It functions actively seek advises as well as suggestions from the Staff and other administrative members every now and then in the matter of latest developments and updates in the purchase of books. New Arrivals of books are put up on display board for the benefit of the students.
“Information Literacy” is about the Library Resources available in the college, to make the fresher’s acquaint with wider collections of books of all the subjects available, rules and regulations of the library are briefed by the College Librarian in the Orientation Programme conducted by the Cultural Committee in the beginning of the academic year.
The College Library opens at 10.00 a.m. and closes at 5.30 p.m. with no lunch break.
Presently, the Library has four sections they are: Periodical, Reference, Book stack and Circulation section. Model project work done by final year BBA & B.COM Students are also made available to the students for reference.
As the Open Access system is in force all the library readers are free to enter the library and can choose their own books in circulation section to read at home.
General students are given two books; SC/ST students are given three books and physically challenged students are given five books.
Books are lent to both Staff and Students during Semester period for students lending duration is for 15 days and if preferred it can be renewed for a further period of 15 days. Staff members are given ten books.
Statistical records of ‘Students Visit to Library’ as well as’ Issue of the Books’ are maintained in the Library. A gate register is maintained for the Reader’s whoever enters the library. It has been recorded, on an average 148 students visit the library every day. The issue and return of books per day amounts to about more than 84 books. The practice of withdrawing books lent to the students at the end of financial year i.e.31st of March is followed by almost all institutions, but it differs in our college, we have adopted a new method beneficial to the student community at crucial hour of examinations.
Special arrangements are made to issue books to all students after March 31st and also to collect back the books on the last date of the examination. Defaulters will not be able to get their T.C. and Mark Statements without clearing the library dues. This facility of borrowing books till the last date of the examination is a special feature of LBS Govt. First Grade College Library. In addition to it our college has taken an initiative of feeding all the question papers including Competitive books and question papers to the website (gfgc umbrella/dce.kar.nic.in/rtnagar) of our college for all the course combination to benefit the students to prepare for examination at home. To motivate and encourage students, to inculcate the habit of reading our college has instituted’ Best User Award ‘for the optimum user of the library resource. The Library in collaboration with Himalaya and Kalyani Publishers conducts Book Exhibition cum sale every semester to provide maximum benefit to students on their purchase of academic books.
Utilization of the Library:
With the available statistics, an attempt was made to measure the usage of the college library. The average student’s entry in the library is about 148 students per day. Each students or reader refers minimum of 3 and a maximum of 5 books per day. This means that a minimum of 592 books are referred per day.
Total number of working days in an academic year comes to about 180 days. In total Library books are getting referred a minimum of 1, 06, 560 times and a maximum of 2, 13,120 times in an academic year. Thus the Library resources are well utilized by the Student and Staff.
To support Student Community for Higher Education
To support Teaching Staff for Effective Teaching as well as in Research
On Working Days
10.00 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
10.00 am to 3.00 pm
Before Examination Days
9.30 am to 5.00 pm
During the Examination Days
9.00 am to 5.00 pm
During the Vacation Days
10.00 am to 5.00 pm
- Ø Strict Silence is observed in the library.
- Ø Personal belongings such as Bags, Tiffin-boxes, Notebooks, etc., should be left at the property counter near library entrance.
- Ø Books are lent to students on all Working Days.
- Ø Books are usually lent for a period of two weeks and may be renewed for a further period, on condition that those books are not in demand by other students.
- Ø Books should be returned on or before the due date as indicated in the Issue slip of the book.
- Ø Overdue fine of Rs.1 per day will be charged if the book is not returned on time.
- Ø If the book is lost, penalty will be three times of the book cost or replace with a new one.
- Ø The librarian may ask for the return of any book even before the expiry of the due date.
- Ø Reference books such as Dictionaries, Year Books, Encyclopedia, General knowledge Books and Books labeled as Reference will not be lent. Students are forbidden to make any marking or underlining in Books and Periodicals
- Ø Students are advised to examine and ascertain the conditions of the book at the time of borrowing itself. If there is any damage it should be immediately brought to the notice of the librarian. Otherwise the borrower will be held responsible for the damage book.
- Ø All the students should produce their identity card at the time of borrowing library books.
- Ø No outside / personal books are allowed in the library for reading purpose.
- Ø Using of mobile phone is strictly prohibited.
All the students, faculty members and employees of the college are eligible for membership of the library. The registered members are issued Barcode Identity Card for access of the Library Documents. The College ID card is provided with Barcode facility to make use of the library service for both the staff and students of our college.
The LBSGFGC Library allows access to printed resources such as books, Journals and Magazines as well as Electronic Journals for the use of faculty and students at LBSGFGC College.
* Automated library enables easy accessibility and optimum usage.
* OPAC facility is installed for easy search
* Wireless router is installed to facilitate internet usage and laptop connectivity
* Reprographic facility
* Display of newspaper clippings on current topics and career / employment
* Book bank facility for economically backward students
* Notice board for information display and notification
* Continuous power backup facility
* Competitive exam material
* Mass subscription of dailies / journals for students
* The Library is under CCTV Surveillance