Home

Maharani’s Women's Commerce and Management College, Mysore [MCMCW] owes its existence to the farsightedness of the Maharani Kempananjammanni, the Queen Consort of the then Maharaja Chamarajendra Wodeyar X. Initially, it was started as Maharani’s Girls School, Mysore.  The vision of providing education for girls was the brainchild of social workers such as Amble NarasimhaIyengar (Bakshi of the Palace), M. Venkata Krishnaiah [a renowned journalist of Mysore] and NarayanaShastri. It was the benevolence of Maharani Kempananjammanni which helped in the establishment of an educational institution exclusively for girls. Thus, the school was started with primary and middle sections on 16thMarch 1881 with 28 girl pupils. In 1891, the school was taken over by the Government of Mysore and upgraded to High School. In 1902, the school was again upgraded to II Grade College with the name Maharani’s College and affiliated to the University of Madras. Till 1919, the institution had the college, high school, middle and primary schools together. In 1920, the Maharani’s College became a full-fledged institution of higher education, affiliated to the University of Mysore. During the year 1979, the Maharani’s College was bifurcated into two individual colleges as Maharani’s Science College and Maharani’s Arts College. In 1983, the College started courses in Commerce and Management and the college was named Maharani’s Arts, Commerce and Management College for Women, Mysore.

The demand for admission to B Com and BBM programs increased steadily.   In response to the demand for PG programs from the stakeholders, the MBA program was started in 2009-10 and the M Com Program was started in 2011-12.  The students’ strength increased year after year to touch 2750 in 2013-14 which is equal to the number of students of Arts.  The total students’ strength of the college reached 6000 and the existing infrastructure was insufficient for the strength.  The need for a separate administration of Commerce and Management Programs too was felt to provide effective administration.  With the initiative of the Honorable MLA Sri Vasu, who invited the Honorable Minister of Higher Education, Honorable Minister of Revenue to witness the phenomenal strength of the students causing a pressure on the existing infrastructure.  The honorable minister passed an order bifurcating them as Maharani’s Arts College, and Maharani’s Commerce and Management College. It is the first of its kind in Karnataka as this college is an exclusive college for girl students seeking Commerce and Management Education.  The Honorable Chief Minister, as a gesture of his concern for socially and economically backward students, set aside Rs 50 Crores in the 2014 budget for the construction of   state of the art infrastructure for the college. Thus, the Maharani’s   Women’s Commerce and Management College, Mysore came into existence in 2014-15 and was functioning as a separate entity in the same building. The construction of new building was started immediately in a new site and the college was shifted to its present new building in Dec 2018.  The present building has well furnished ICT enabled classrooms, and other facilities like library, auditorium, computer labs, play ground etc. The college offers B.Com and BBA Courses at the Undergraduate level and M Com and MBA courses at the Post graduate level.  At present 4010 girls’ students are pursuing business education in this college. 


 

 

DCE Alert | Read More

Events | Read More

  • No Events

Gallery | View All