The Government Science College is born out of the visionary foresight of the erstwhile Maharaja (King) of Mysore, His Highness Shri Nalvadi Krishnaraja Wodeyar on the 1st of April 1921 as an intermediate college. As a testimony to its leadership in higher education, the institution has grown from a modest intermediate college to a full-fledged undergraduate college and now into a post-graduate institution with research programs.
GSC has been dedicated to quality education and to preparing students for leadership in diverse walks of life while at the same time being tempered by social concern, empathy and visionary leadership across two centuries. Owing to its scope and pace of change, post-2000 will go down in the history of GSC as the period of its most spectacular expansion and quality enhancement. The introduction of PG courses, research programs, with two successive NAAC accreditations of B++ and “A” followed by CPE status in 2009 and 2015 and more recently- the autonomous status are some of the milestones of the last decade.
This temple of enlightenment has stood the test of times as a beacon of knowledge for generations of youth who have served the society from pre-independence to the post-independent era. The greatest testimonial is the contribution of its students to society and GSC is quietly proud to have contributed to society's growth over 94 years of glorious existence through a set of students who are etched as knowledge revolutionaries in the by-lanes of history.
- To instill scientific zeal and develop skilled human resource to meet contemporary challenges
- To facilitate young adult learners with opportunities to hone their ethics and leadership potential
- To sensitize learners towards inclusive social concerns, human rights, gender and environmental issues
- To impart in-depth knowledge in Science
- To build a foundation for lifelong learning
- To impart technical competence to develop skilled human resource
- To organize extension activities to promote wellbeing, leadership, social responsibilities and environmental awareness
- To promote critical and analytical thinking
- To encourage innovations through research
- To indoctrinate life skills in adult learners to meet contemporary challenges