- The College
Government Science College, Chitradurga was started in the year 1947 as Intermediate College and later upgraded to a first grade college in 1957 as Multi faculty, Science, Arts and Commerce College. In 1973 it was bifurcated into Govt. Science college & Govt. Arts and Commerce College. The Govt. Science College has been functioning in the present building since then. The Govt. Science College was earlier permanently affiliated to Mysore University up to 1987, after the inception of Kuvempu University the college was affiliated to Kuvempu University up to 2009. Currently affiliated to Davangere University from 2009.
Among the colleges affiliated to Mysore University, Kuvempu University and Davangere University Govt. Science College, Chitradurga has been showing good progress in terms of percentage of passes and number of meritorious students produced and also the number of students enrolled for post graduation and getting key positions in Government and private sector.
The institution has been catering to the educational need of rural and semi-urban students of backward district of Chitradurga. A large number of poor, SC, ST and OBC students are pursuing higher education in Govt. Science College, as there are a good number of Govt.managed free hostels, backward class hostel and community hostels managed by social welfare department and philanthropic public. Hence Govt. Science College is a hub of education activity in the backward Dist. The college also getting the laureates like distinctions and Ranks in the university level examinations. The institution is also involved in extracurricular activities and sports activities. A number of students of the college are representing Davangere University in sports activities and state and National level camps of NCC and NSS
College performance NIRF Information 05-02-2021