Government First Grade College, Gowribidanur made its humble beginning during the academic year 2007-08 in the Sericulture Department building. In a very short period, the college made rapid growth in every aspect including the recent addition of a new college building .
To achieve and sustain excellence in the field of education with a view to empower and enable students for holistic development, professional excellence and carve them in to value embedded citizens fit for the job market.
- To provide quality education at affordable cost
- Diligently implement the policies of the Government to make higher education accessible and equitable
- To provide congenial environment for learning, self learning and life-long learning
- To provide knowledge, skills and values with a view to achieve holistic development among the students
- To network with agencies, institutions and individuals to build community orientation, spirit of self-sacrifice and academic excellence
- To provide scope for equitable participation of students in sports, cultural and co-curricular activities and build inter-personal skills
- To impart Value based quality education.
- To become center for developing talent and skills among the student community.
- To induce innovation in teaching – learning process.
- To organize activities/Community service for focusing on civic responsibilities and social awareness.
- To develop Scientific and rational temper among the students.
- Adoption of Accreditation as a mandatory quality assurance work.
- To create an enabling atmosphere in institutions to facilitate research and innovation.
- To Integrate the skill development efforts of the Government through optimum interventions.
- To improve equity in higher education by providing adequate opportunities to socially deprived communities, promote inclusion of women, Minorities, SC’s, ST’s, and OBC’s.
Gauribidanur is located on the banks of North Pennar river. Historically the town has many centers of importance around it. Viduraswartha, one of the prominent places in Indian freedom struggle, also known as the Jallianwallabagh of Karnataka is very close to it. The sacrifice of those freedom fighters still inspires the people of the area. Seismic Centre and Centre for Astro-Physics are located here. Prominent educationist Dr.H.Narasimhaiah a son of this soil, in his capacity as the Vice Chancellor of Bangalore University contributed solidly to the development of education and the fostering of scientific temper in the region.
The college offers undergraduate courses in Arts, Science, Commerce and Management, both for boys and girls, is affiliated to Bangalore University. At present there are 1199 students on roll from all streams. Indeed this is a very high strength in the recently established Government First Grade colleges.The college has achieved excellent results in the university exams. Students are given opportunities to participate in inter-class as well as intercollegiate competitions and they have earned laurels in many such competitions. Encouragement is given to co-curricular activities also.
The college aims at provide holistic education to the students who are primarily from rural background. The maximum endeavour of the faculty is to concentrate on inculcating confidence and language skills.Students are provided with sports and games in the campus after class hours. Our students have participated in a number of inter-collegiate sports meets.For the all-round development of the student community the college has NSS wing which also creates a sense of service to society, the heritage club in college strives to create awareness to our heritage in society through multiple programmes.The college Library is presently housed in the Sericulture Building and it has the sufficient collection of books as per the syllabus. Reading room facility is provided with leading daily newspapers and journals.