The College was established in the year 1965 under the affiliation of the Mysore University by late Sri M.C. Anjaneya Reddy, former MLC & the Town Municipal President, to impart Higher Education to the rural students who could not go to cities to pursue higher education. It is significant to note that it was the first degree college established by the Town Municipal Council in the entire state of Karnataka. The college got the affiliation of the Bangalore University during the year 1976-77 when the University of Mysore was divided. The quasi-government college was taken over by the Government of Karnataka in the year 1986 and was renamed as Government First Grade College. Further the college was bifurcated into two because of increase in the number of students (1) Government College for Boys (2) Government College for Women during the academic year 2002-03.
The institution has been included under section 2(f) and 12(b) in accordance with the UGC Act of 1956 from the date of Enforcement of 2 (f) 12(b) which offers various educational schemes of UGC and enables the institution to provide quality education to the students
The college situated in the heart of the town of Chintamani which is reflective in the sprawling campus 2.25 acres. The state of the art facilities and appreciable teaching being provided at the institution. The institution was started with many disciplines such as B.A., B.Com., B.Sc., and BBM., The efforts are committedly directed to accommodate and address the expectations of the each student to explore a wide range of options.There are 11 departments in the Under Graduate courses and 21 permanent faculty members of which 08 are M.Phil degree holders, 01 is M.Ed., degree holder. Three of the faculty members are pursuing Ph.D. Apart from that 28 guest lecturers of which 05 are M.Phil degree holders. The institution is supported by 12 non-teaching staff. The student enrolment is 1118. The college has Library, 01 Computer Laboratory, well equipped Science Laboratories (Physics, Chemistry). The NCC (National Cadet Corps) and NSS (National Service Scheme) have been functioning of their best in the college. The institution has dynamic Physical Education Department which uplifts the needs of the sports-persons.
The students of the institution are from different socio-economic background. 80% of the students belong to SC, ST, OBC and minorities. Around 60% to 70% of the students opted medium of instruction in Kannada. The students of the college excelled well in the University examinations. The college has strong social capital net working with several luminous old students who guide the institution in their own way.
Faculty members involved in academic innovations, examinations reforms, work on different communities, acted as resource persons, and provided guest lecturers in the area of soft skills, leadership, motivation and communication. The faculty have passion of updating their knowledge. Most of the staff members attended workshops, seminars, symposia at State and National level. They further attended programmes organized by Government of Karnataka such as ATI (Administrative Training Institute). The source for the knowledge of the faculty is library, over 24000 books are at the disposal and call of the young students. Apart from the books, good number of journals, magazines, and vast information is available in the library, particularly for learning sciences. The advanced knowledge is being provided through OHP’s, computers, Lap-Top and other multimedia.