- The College
Government first grade college, Bilikere, Hunsur taluk, Mysore district is situated strategically on a bypass to state highway Mysore Buntwala. Though it is a village panchayat, but has every potential to develop into industrial and educational hub in the coming years. Recently Industrial town ship proposed within the radius of 10 kms, which will absorb the large junk of human resource. The Government First Grade College, Bilikere was established during the academic year 2007-08 with mere 78 students in two rooms in Government junior college campus and shifted to new building in the year 2011 to cater to the needs of higher education aspirants in and around bilikere hobli. With the establishment of this college the girl students are really benefited to realize their dream to pursue higher education. More than 40% of total intake comprise of girl students. Had this college not being opened at this place, many of them wouldn’t have continued their higher education. More than 95% of the intake of this college comprise of socially deprived and economically backward section of population, who happen to be the first generation of pursuing higher education at graduation and post graduation level.
The college is endowed with 4 acres of land space with total constructed area of 1350 sq ft, in the most suitable location of Bilikere town which is accessible especially to the girl students. The college is already having permanent building under NABARD, RIDF- 13 fund with sufficient space/accommodation and infrastructure in terms of class rooms, furniture, Library, sports-unprotected play ground, drinking water etc., The College got 2F status in October 2011.
At present 284 students are admitted under UG courses. The college is affiliated to the University of Mysore is offering B.A., B.Com, and B.B.M courses. The institution is growing in terms of student’s enrolment year by year and contributing to the Gross enrollment ratio of State Government.
The Government First Grade College, Bilikere was established during the academic year 2007-08 to cater to the needs of higher education aspirants in and around Bilikere hobli. It is the prime institution to offer graduation course in the area. Student enrolment has been increasing with every academic year. College offers B.A., B. Com, and B.B.A courses.
The vision of the college isto outreach higher educational needs of socially deprived and marginalized section of population and thus empower them to become employable graduates.
The college, being a State Government Institution has a nominal fee structure. Faculty members are appointed through Karnataka Public Service Commission (KPSC), which ensures high quality of teachers, thus providing quality education under nominal fee structure. All students get scholarships from State Government, which further ensures better education of the economically challenged students.
Professional and academic development of teachers is always encouraged. Faculty of our college are contributing academically through their publications at National and International level every year. They also participate in Short Term Courses, Refresher courses, Faculty Development Programs, and other Training programmes. Technical and administrative staff of the college is appointed by KPSC and are provided necessary Training and support as and when required by Department of Collegiate education, Government of Karnataka.
Apart from academic excellence, the college also pays sincere attention to the physical, moral, and cultural development of students. Students have shown outstanding performance in sports tournaments.
The college has dedicated space for both indoor and outdoor sports activities. With the passionate and dedicated efforts of the students of the sports department, the available two acres of outdoor space has been converted into a multi-activity area where football, throw ball, handball, volleyball, and badminton can be played. In addition, a makeshift 200 metres track is created. In the indoor space, college has standard facilities to play table tennis and chess. Students from the college have been representing the University of Mysore handball team every year.
The NSS unit has been conducting regular activities at college campus and Annual camps in villages of the region. To serve rural people NSS Unit has been organising Special lectures, Rally and Street plays on AIDS awareness, Anti Women harassment, Health & hygiene, Avoid open defecation, Water preservation etc. The vision of the unit is to enhance health education and knowledge and strive to eradicate superstition. The College NSS Unit has received the Best Unit award and Best NSS officer award for the year 2018-19 from the University of Mysore.
College distributed Laptops for all First-year students, under the guidelines of Government of Karnataka. This has been the unique effort by the Government to promote Higher Education in rural students and the motivate the graduates to cope with the global trends for better employability.
PROCEDURES AND POLICIES
- Construction, maintenance and repairing of college building, is undertaken as per the instructions of the Department of Collegiate Education, Government of Karnataka. As and when any need arises for repairing or maintaining the physical infra-structure of the college, Principal go forward with only after approval from the authorities and see to the requirements.
- The college receives grant from Department of Collegiate education, Government of Karnataka under Plan Head and Non-plan Head. Plan head mentions the assigned budget for procurement of books & journals and contingency. For the year 2018-19, the total fund received by the college was Rs.1,40,54,626. This is inclusive of salary, allowances and retirement benefits for staff and grants from state government.
- Library is open for student’s access from 10 to 5 on all working days. Browsing centre is made available for students at Library hall itself.
- As one smart class room is available, faculty make use of it for power point presentation as and when needed on sharing basis.
- The college has both indoor and outdoor sports facilities. The available two acres of outdoor space has been converted into a multi-activity area where football, throw ball, handball, volleyball and badminton can be played. In addition, a makeshift 200 metres track is created. In the indoor space, standard facilities to play table tennis and chess is provided.
BEST PRACTICES 2016-17 students strength 2017-18 students strength 2018-19 students strength 2019-20 students strength