Govt. First Grade College, BIDAR is a College set-up by the Department of Collegiate Education, Govt. of Karnataka, in the year 1974, to uplift the backward students of Bidar district by providing them the facilities for higher education.
Bidar is a historical city which was once ruled by the kings of Mouryas Shatavahanas, Rastra kutas, Chalukyas and the dynasties like Bahamanis, Barred Shahis, Moghals and the Nizams of Hyderabad. 'Madarsa' built by the Prime Minister of Bahamani Mohammed Shah Gawan in 1472 used to attract students from abroad.
In 1974, the College was started with Arts Faculty. The Commerce and Science Faculties were added in 1982 and 1992 respectively.
The College is affiliated to Gulbarga University, Karnataka and is recognized by the UGC under 2(f) and 12(B). As the College has been granted permanent affiliation from 2003-04.
The College is running Undergraduate Programmes in the Faculties of Arts, Commerce and Science. In the Faculty of Arts, it has 10 Departments (Kannada, Hindi, English, Urdu, Arabic, History, Political Science, Economics, Sociology and Education) and in the Faculty of Science, it has 7 Departments (Physics, Electronics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Chemistry, Botany and Zoology).
The College is also running Three Postgraduate Programmes in Arts Faculties ( Kannada, History and Economics), Two Postgraduate Programs in Science Faculties ( Computer Science & Chemistry) and One Postgraduate Programme in Commerce Faculty. It has on its roll 763 students in UG Programme and 180 students in PG Programme.
The College has a teaching Faculty of 75 (28 permanent and 47 part-time teachers) and a non-teaching staff of 12. The Faculty is recruited by the State Government. The Support Services available in the College are: Central Library, Sports facilities and Hostel run by the Dept. of Social Welfare and Backward Classes.