Belur is known for world famous Hoysala architecture. The original name of Belur was ‘Belahuri’. It was later changed to ‘Velapuri’(according to Sanskrit verse). The Hoysalas built two temples, one at Belu,r another at Halebeedu(just a few miles away from Belur). The temple at Belur was built in the name of God Vijayanarayana now called Channakeshava. The work of building this temple was started on 10th March 1117 A.D., by Visnuvardhana a famous Hoysala ruler. His successors completed the work step by step. Now, this temple attracts the people from all over the world. We are proud to say that our college is situated in a tourist place like this.
Our college was started in July, 1984 by the Government. With a mission to educate the rural based mass. In the first year the college had only 53 students, but the strength of the college at present has crossed more than 750 students. When it was started, it had no independent building. The government acquired nearly 28acres of land in the outskirts of the town for the purpose of the construction of independent building. Sri Ramakrishna Hegde, the then Hon’le Chief Minister of Karnataka laid the foundation stone for the new building in 1986. The new building was constructed with an estimated cost of Rs. 13.5 Lakhs and completed in the year 1996. For the construction of the new building the donor Sri.Y.D.Nanjegowda donated Rs.2.5 Lakhs. Therefore the college is named after his parents late Sri. YamasandhiDyavegowda and late Smt.Devamma (Y.D.D) Govt.First Grade College. The new building was inaugurated by Sri H.D. Devegowda, the then Hon’le Chief Minister of Karnataka in the year 1996. Sri. H.K. Kumaraswamy, the then MLA of Belur presided over the function. Sri. Y.N. RudreshGowda, Ex.MP was the Chief Guest in the function.