Smt.VHD Central Institute of Home Science, Bangalore is one of the premier women’s Colleges in Karnataka, affiliated to Bangalore University and is a Government College. The Home Science Department was founded in 1951 and in 1961 Smt VHD Central Institute of Home Science came into existence, as an answer to the increasing demands for higher education among young women.
Home Science is a scientifically planned interdisciplinary field of study with its mission to empower individual, family and community.
- Provide scientifically planned, multi-dimensional, skill oriented, personality development courses, which enable young girls to excell areas of health, family care, community service and more importantly diverse careers and professions in today’s context.
- Provide education not only to acquire knowledge but also to inculcate a sound philosophy for holistic living.
- Educate young girls towards independence and equality by inculcating a sense of self-worth, integrity and purpose.
- Empower young girls to respond creatively and with a sense of responsibility to the contemporary needs of the society.
- Provide quality education and at the same time inculcate a spirit of service and dedication.
- To infuse self esteem and life skills in all the learners
- To impart broad-based knowledge to face the competitive world
- To build a foundation for lifelong learning
- To enhance critical and analytical abilities
- Curricular Aspects: Introduction of new Certificate, Diploma, Under graduate, and Post Graduate Courses in Home Science and other interdisciplinary subjects of Home Science, which are relevant to modern society.
- Teacher Quality Improvement: Organise workshops on research methodology and scientific writing to promote scientific temperament among the faculty. Motivate the faculty to apply for research grants which available under various schemes and programmes.
- Research Guidance, Consultancy and Collaboration: Encourage eligible faculty to become recognised research guides and consultants. Enter into MOU’s with leading national agencies and industries.
- Infrastructure and Learning Resources: Have ICT enabled classrooms and state of the art laboratory facilities.
- Library: Complete automation of the library. Subscribe to leading journals and e-journals.
- Sports: Establishment of a well equipped gymnasium for the physical fitness and well being of the College Community.
- Student Support and Progression: Hone Student’s communication skills by organising spoken English classes. Encourage students to participate in sporting events at District, State and National levels. Organise field trips and visits to industries, research institutes and welfare organizations.
- Governance and Leadership: Provide visionary leadership to promote Home Science Education as a need based education for the society. Ensure maximum tapping of resources to fulfill the vision that is envisaged for the next five years.