Home

Mandya named after a mythological Rishi by name Maandavya, one of the important districts of South Karnataka known for its world famous Krishna Raja Sagara, more popularly known as KRS, is the green-belt and sugar bowl of Karnataka.

Under the initiative and vision of His Highness Sri Krishnaraja Wodeyar of Mysore State and his Diwan Sir M. Vishweswaraya for imparting higher education of excellence to state subjects, University of Mysore came into existence in 1916, thus opening an era of distinctive education in the part of erstwhile Mysore state. No wonder that the learning centres started springing up in and around the capital city -Mysore, Mandya being one amongst the beneficiaries because of its natural resources – River Cauvery, the main stream of populace and agriculture.

The Government Intermediate College of Science had its inception in 1948 at Mandya with a broad view to provide higher education to rural masses at affordable cost and convenience. With Sri N. Nagesh Rao as Founder -Superintendent of the college, and with a modest strength of about eighty, and a simple structure (located at the Municipal Office building of the present day), the college made rapid strides in terms of both the strength and the structure. Faculty of arts at the Intermediate level was started around 1952. College got affiliation to University of Mysore in the year 1960.
Due to the thinking and vision of knowledgeable for education, a mass movement was started from generous contributions and donations from the public, for acquiring lands to a new college. A vast area of about 35 acres of green land got earmarked for the purpose, at the western end of town, close to the Mysore-Bangalore main way. Foundation stone for the building was laid in 1952 , by no less a person than His Highness Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar.

The government college came into administrative control of Collegiate Education in Karnataka, in the following year (1961) as per the general policy of the government. In the year 1963, the college was upgraded to encompass degree courses, Prof. K.S.Nanjundaiah becoming the founder- Principal of the degree college. In the year 1964, the college was shifted to the newly built structure in the present location, offering education in both faculties of Science and Arts, for both Pre-university and Degree students. It was the one and the only premier centre of education, a Government College for that matter, for the district until around 1967. The college grew from strength to strength, and in the year 1969 was bifurcated in to College for Boys, and College for Women, the latter coming into existence in the eastern part of the town, again on the Mysore-Bangalore high way. The college got for itself (in the year 1971) a new block of a huge stone-structure facing north, built on about 400’ x 300’ ground space, about 500’ from the main road, and housing a large number of wide lecture halls and huge laboratories In course of time, in the year 1997, Pre-university education got de-ed from the collegiate education, as a matter of general government policy.

At present, the college is a centre for graduate and post graduate Level Education, affiliated to the University of Mysore, giving education in the Faculties of Science, Arts and Commerce for a total strength of about 2800, in as many subjects as 7 in Arts Faculty, 8 in the Science Faculty with as wide a choice of assorted subjects as Psychology, Geography, Computer Applications etc. Acknowledging its inherent quality, NAAC has accredited the 'A' grade. The college has gained autonomous status from the academic year 2005-06. The college is offering many PG courses such as MSc in Physics, MSc in Mathematics, MSc in Comp. Science, MCom, MA in Political science.

Events | Read More

  • No Events

Gallery | View All